Court of Protection

If somebody close to you has already lost mental capacity, and can no longer cope with managing their property, or money, it may be necessary for somebody else to be responsible for their finances.  If they have not prepared an Enduring Power of Attorney or a Lasting Power of Attorney then an application should be made to the Court of Protection to appoint a Deputy, the person appointed to look after another’s financial affairs.  This allows an appointed person to deal with their bank accounts, sell property, speak to a mortgage company and any utility companies.

We can assist you in applying for a Deputyship Order or if you have previously been appointed as a Deputy then we can help you with your duties.

We recognise that managing the finances and the welfare of a relative or friend can be challenging and demanding. Our specialist solicitors can provide advice and assistance to make the role of Deputy as straightforward as possible. We also have expertise in dealing with complex situations, such as when a Deputy no longer wishes to act, where there is no other suitable Deputy and cases where there is an objection to a person being appointed as a Deputy.

We can assist with completing the annual report to the Office of the Public Guardian, completing tax returns, applying for state benefits, care home fees, dealing with their Will and other duties of a Deputy.

Make an Enquiry